6 Reasons Why Everyone Should be Eating Kale!
(Number 6 will flatten your belly!)
By Dr. Scott Schreiber
1) It is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet! It nutrient profile looks like this:
Vitamin A: 206% of the RDA (from beta-carotene).
Vitamin K: 684% of the RDA.
Vitamin C: 134% of the RDA.
Vitamin B6: 9% of the RDA.
Manganese: 26% of the RDA.
Calcium: 9% of the RDA.
Copper: 10% of the RDA.
Potassium: 9% of the RDA.
Magnesium: 6% of the RDA.
Kale also contains a generous amount of fiber, protein and little fat, a large portion is alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), a healthy omega-three fatty acid. Antioxidants are in abundance in kale. They prevent free radical damage, the principal cause of cancer and premature aging. Kale also contains more vitamin C than an orange and contains seven times the RDA for vitamin K, essential for blood clotting and bone health. It contains almost as much iron as in beef and contains more calcium than milk (and this kind is actually absorbed).
2) Kale contains a ton of flavonoids. Quercetin and Kaempferol are flavonoids found in large concentrations in Kale. The many health benefits include protecting the heart, lowering blood pressure, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-depressant and anticancer.
3) Kale will reduce cholesterol like no other! Kale has substances called bile acid sequestrants which bind to bile acids, not allowing them to be re-absorbed. This is especially important in lowering cholesterol. Studies show that drinking kale juice is just as effective as cholesterol medications.
4) Kale prevents cancer! In addition to the antioxidants and flavonoids, Kale contains anti-cancer phytochemicals, indole-3-carbinol and sulforsphane. These fight cancer at the molecular level and are believed to be essential in the prevention of cancer cell generation.
5) Kale Preserves Eyesight! Kale is high in lutein and zeaxanthin; carotenoids that prevent reduce the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts.
6) Kale can help you lose weight! Kale should be used as part of a weight loss program. It is nutrient dense, low in carbohydrates and fat, contains fiber and protein, all characteristics of excellent weight loss foods.
Dr. Scott Schreiber has been practicing in Newark, Delaware for over eleven years. He is a chiropractic physician that is double board certified in rehabilitation and clinical nutrition. He is a certified nutrition specialist and a licensed dietitian/nutritionist.
Source consulted: https://authoritynutrition.com/10-proven-benefits-of-kale/